The year BIAC turns 25
We know the New Year is going to be a great one. It’s the year the Bowen Island Arts Council (BIAC) turns 25 and that means it’s time to celebrate arts and culture on Bowen Island.
From its early beginnings in 1988, the arts council has strived for excellence in delivering programs and services to Bowen. It has grown to become a mature organization, one that has worked hard to earn a place of respect in this community. In celebrating our achievements, we give homage to this inspired vibrant place we call home.
We delight in acknowledging and nurturing the heart and soul of the community.
From April to August, in addition to its regular programming, BIAC will be hosting a series of events we’re calling the Community Anniversary Celebration. So get ready to party and express your creativity in a myriad of ways.
Some of the highlights coming up in 2013 include:
• Street banners: a community banner project that features artwork by local artists
• BIAC birthday bash: a concert featuring local musicians, cake and balloons
• Speed dating with the arts: an opportunity to sample a myriad of art techniques and practices
• History of Arts on Bowen Presentation and Exhibit: working in conjunction with the Bowen Island Museum and Archives, we will develop a timeline and presentation of island arts from the turn of the 20th century to the present. This will include an exhibit to be presented at the Gallery at Artisan Square.
• Bowen anthology compilation and launch: a book of short stories, essays, and poetry by local authors.
• Arts and cultural directory: listing of artists and artisans on Bowen, including contact and other information about their work.
• Bowen Bohemia: a theatrical performance celebrating Bowen’s heritage, Lieben and the creative culture of the island
• Music in the park: a series of concerts featuring local musicians
The intent of these events, to be staged over the months of April to August is to celebrate the Bowen Island Arts Council’s success and growth over the past 25 years, to showcase arts on Bowen and to create excitement and awareness of the artistic culture of our community.
We invite the entire community to join and partner with us. We’ll be collaborating with the Bowen Island Museum and Archives, the Bowen Public Library, Steamship Days, theatre and musical groups, authors, artists and a host of others. The arts council thanks the province of BC for its support of the Community Anniversary Celebration through its job creation partnership program.
For more information, please contact Jacqueline Massey, BIAC’s executive director, at 604-947-2454.