- BC Games
Much to be grateful for
As one of the nominees for the Chamber’s Citizen of the Year, I congratulate Don and Diane Marshall on their having been chosen, a selection which was well deserved. Congratulations as well to the other nominees that confirm that volunteerism is alive and well in our community and as a result, we have so much for which to be grateful, in spite of some of our differences of opinion.
The August 16 issue of Undercurrent included a number of articles that reminded me of how wonderful a community we live in, such as:
• BIM staff appointments. I think we have a fine group of individuals working at municipal hall.
• John Reid’s commitment to trails and green spaces.
• Rondy and Dorothy Dike’s Dog Days event which raises considerable money for a good cause. Kudos to their committee.
• Rotary’s never ending causes for communities (Run for Rwanda).
• Bowen baseball which celebrated 20 years of success with a special tribute to Greg Cope.
• The obituary for Greg and invitation to attend his Celebration of Life at the golf course. The popularity of Greg was evident from the large number of people who played in a special edition of the Saturday Morning Skins Group (SMSG), a group that Greg co-founded, and those who attended a very touching Celebration of Life. As such, the SMSG Buzzard’s trophy was renamed the Greg Cope Buzzard Cup. Greg, along with Mardy Duncan, Michael Lambert and Neil Gray, all club members, will have this year’s Bowen Island Golf Club Member-Guest Fundraiser on September 7 dedicated in their memory.
As I said at the outset, we all have so much to be grateful for in our community.
Bruce Russell, president and director, B. I. Golf Club