The Bowen Island RCMP responded to 58 calls for service in November of 2021.
- six were related to traffic complaints or enforcement;
- four were requests to check a person’s wellbeing;
- two were impaired driving check stops;
- four were driving suspensions that resulted from the check stops;
- four were minor vehicle collisions.
Since the start of the school year, we have received complaints of vehicles passing school buses as they are offloading children.
Although it may seem obvious, the reason passing a school bus is illegal is because it can pose a risk to the children. The kids often exit the bus and cross in front of or behind the bus, which can make it difficult for them to see the roadway or for drivers to see them.
That is why school buses have flashing lights and stop signs to let drivers know that they are offloading children.
Failing to stop for a school bus is a $368 ticket but, more importantly, failing to stop puts kids at risk.
Please be patient, wait until the bus is finished, and we can all get where we’re going safely.