To search this page, press “command-F.”
We will update this list of closed, reopening or modified services and events daily or as needed. Know of developments? Email email@example.com.
Here's how organizations and businesses are adapting to COVID-19:
- Bowen Island Municipality: Municipal Hall access by appointment only. Continuing to provide essential services. Contact: 604-947-4255 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BIM has activated the emergency operations centre and is asking that visitors not come to the island and return home if they're already on the island.
- BIM has reopened the basketball court, the tennis court and the West Vancouver School District has reopened the Bowen Island Community School playground.
- Bowen Island RCMP detachment office is closed and non-essential services suspended.
- Snug Cove General Store: As of June 1 open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. except Tuesdays open noon to 7 p.m. 6 people at a time. Credit or debit only. No reusable bags. Bottle depot closed. Pick-up and delivery service available Monday to Friday. Email email@example.com by midnight, your order will be prepared the next day. Please be as specific as possible when describing your items. Include phone number and will call if clarifying needed. Pickup available noon to 7 p.m. No personal bags in the store. No checking lotto. Please limit trips to the store.
- Ruddy Potato: Open 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. except on Mondays and Thursdays when close at 6 p.m. Now entry only through the cafe entrance and following a specific route through the store (in one direction). They ask you come with a list and follow the lines. Cafe closed. Customers can now pre-order groceries, "We will pick your order, charge your credit card, box it up and have it ready for you to collect at the door. Follow this link for instructions, or email firstname.lastname@example.org," reads a Facebook post. One can also order dinners from the Ruddy Kitchen. Click here to see what's available today.
- Alderwood Farm: Hours: Wed-Sat 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. "As we have such a small retail area in an effort to keep our staff and customers safe will be continuing on with our "Safe Shopping" Policy of having customers pick up outside the shop. We have been posting our weekly creations on our Facebook Page and have set up our store so the shelves have been turned around so customers can window shop while placing or picking up their order," said Jules de Groot
- Home Farm Gardens: Parking big red truck on the road in front of the BICS parking lot on Saturdays between 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. "Please pull into the lot and we will have your previously placed order ready for you. This is also the time for our CSA customers to pick up their weekly box of produce." Also adding a mid-week food pickup at the top of the driveway to the farm (1461 Mt. Gardner Rd.) and order will be waiting clearly marked on a farm table. Place an order by visiting @HomeFarmGarden on Facebook.
- Bowen Island Farmers’ Market: market and its online ordering system closed until further notice due to technical difficulties.
- Cates Pharmacy: Will allow patients/customers into the store three at a time. Upon entry sanitize hands; follow designated path through the store; practice required social distance. Refills can be requested through website. Can place prescription/order in drop box outside pharmacy door. Place request in a sealed envelope with payment info inside. To quicken pick-up, pharmacy asks that payment for requests emailed or faxed be phoned in prior to pick-up. Delivery for those in isolation can be arranged through Artisan Express. Available by phone 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday to Saturday. Phone: 604-947-0766; email: email@example.com; www.medicinecentre.com; fax: 604-947-0736.
- Lifelabs: Social distancing measures include: Wait outside or in your car until your number is called (we have a small waiting area so please do not congregate inside). Maintain a 6ft distance from other patients. Wash your hands when you enter the clinic and use hand sanitizer frequently. Limit touching of handles and surfaces. Leave immediately following your appointment.
- Bowen Island United Church (Little Red Church): “We have created a YouTube channel and I will be recording reflections and Lynn [Ellis-Williams] will be singing hymns/songs,” said minister Lorraine Ashdown in an email. “There is something up there now but it’s is only audio recordings. We may get more adventurous as the weeks go by with actual video.” The link to Ashdown’s first recording is here: youtube.com/watch?v=teE-jV7Y6jo
- Cates Hill Chapel: “The Chapel is closed to all public gatherings, both for the church as well as the groups who use our space,” said pastor Phil Adkins in an email. “However, the Chapel is now offering live worship services via Zoom. We did our first gathering on Sunday. There were a few glitches, but it was heart-warming to see everyone and to practice our faith (even if by digital means)...Because each worship gathering has its own link through Zoom, I will be posting a new link on the front page of our website each week for those who can join us.” See Cates Hill Chapel’s website here: cateshillchapel.com.
- St. Gerard’s: Is closed until further notice. However, Mass from Holy Rosary Cathedral in Vancouver is streamed live on the internet every day, said Gayle Stevenson. Live streams are at 7:15 a.m., 12: 10 p.m., 5:10 p.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m., 11 a.m., 6:30 p.m. (in Spanish) and 8 p.m. on Sundays. See the cathedral’s website here: holyrosarycathedral.org/
Restaurants: An islander compiled all of the take-out menues of the open restaurants and cafes, see here.
- Artisan Eats: Serving goods "market" style on Saturdays and Sundays and posting on their Facebook page. New hours on June 1.
- Tuscany: Reopening June 10 for dine-in, reservations required. Serving take-out. Visit Www.tuscanypizza.com for more info.
- Doc Morgan's: Now open. 7 days a week 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Snug Cafe: Open Monday to Friday 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Closed Sunday.
- Bowen Island Pub: Now open. See the safety plan here. Hours: Friday & Saturday 11:30 a.m. to 11 p.m.; Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Closed Tuesdays.
- Cocoa West: Hours: Thursday 2 to 4 p.m.; Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Rustique Bistro: open for take-out. Wednesday to Saturday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 604.947.2277 or message on Facebook to order.
- Barcelona Tapas and Wine Bar: Now open with a new menu. Reservations strongly recommended. 604-947-2311.
- Bowen Sushi: offering delivery for $5 if an order is under $50 and free if over $50. 604-947-6806. 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Tell Your Friends Café: Open Wednesdays and Saturdays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. @tellyourfriendscafe or call 778-929-7393
- Branch on Bowen: Opening for scoops of Earnest Ice Cream on June 8. Open 7 days a week from noon to 7 p.m. "We are also selling taco kits and pints of Earnest ice cream for you to take home." For safety, no ready-to-eat tacos and taco kits will no longer be delivered during the summer but you can order ahead online at branchonbowen.com.
- The Village Baker: Open. Only 3 lined up inside bakery. Limited inside seating, patio open. No table service. Will do phone orders ofr pick-up during opening hours 604-947-2869.
- Bowen Island Espresso Hut is closed
- Montgomery's Grill: Pop-up style restaurant this summer. Starting in June will try Saturdays only. "Signature grill items plus a decadent (probably)spicy alternative entré that can easily be transported in bio degradable servable things," said a Facebook post May 19.
- Golf course garden patio: open 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wed to Sun. for beverages. Thursdays: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Lise Goumeniuk offers fresh-baked cookies, power bars, muffins and then later has wraps and sandwich items. Fridays: noon to 5 p.m. Lise Goumeniuk does pizza. Saturdays: Montgomery's Grill with burger/grill items noon to 7 p.m.
- Food on Bowen: All deliveries contact-less. Now taking PayPal and credit card and e-transfer. Hours: Monday to Thursday, and Sunday 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Fridays and Saturdays 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. "To place an order please do it thru the website foodonbowen.com If you are having troubles to place an order or you just want to confirm that i receive it please give me a call +1.236.335.3959 and I will be more than happy to assist you. If you have any suggestions or if you see an improvement opportunity and you want to share it with me please do it by email firstname.lastname@example.org or thru facebook as direct message," said a post on the Facebook page April 25.
- Artisan Office Services Ltd. and Artisan Express: Offering free delivery to those in self-isolation. See here.
- Better Meals: Better Meals delivery is a service of Snug Cove House. The menu can be found at the pharmacy or on the Better Meals website. The menus include regular meals, diabetic choices, mashed food and low sodium. Delivery is free and we deliver every second Thursday. Interested parties can contact Sue Ritchie at 947-0225 or email@example.com.
Alcohol and cannabis:
- Bowen Beer and Wine Cellar: Open 10 a.m. daily, close at 9:30 p.m. Sunday to Thursday and 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Debit or credit (preferably tap) though exact change accepted. Not accepting bottle return at this time. If self-isolating call 604-947-2729 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Copper Spirit Distillery: closing the lounge and focusing on production. "We will be offering bottle sales Of vodka, rye spirit and gin by pick-up and delivery for those who are self-distancing. People can email us at email@example.com to place orders––we will e-mail invoices." Currently making hand sanitizer for essential services with some sometimes available for locals.
- Happy Isle Cannabis Company: remains open usual hours. "Our inventory and selection of products have been adjusted to meet the increased demand and have been assured that our inbound deliveries will remain the same schedule," said manager Rob Forbes on Facebook. "By law we cannot provide home deliveries. However, for seniors and others that are more vulnerable in our community we are extending our service to include private consultation appointments between the hours of 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on Sundays and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. To set up an appointment, please call during our regular hours 604-947-9888 before 5 p.m. All appointments are set up 20 minutes apart to avoid contact with other customers either arriving or leaving. Please respect your time allocation."
- Bowen Waste Solutions: Garbage must be bagged and placed in curb-side receptacle (no loose garbage accepted.) No loose waste, tissues or toilet paper soiled with human fluids, disinfectant or cleaner. All disposable wipes are garbage. Container should weigh no more than 40 lb. Household limit of 3 curb-side items (food waste, bags, cans or bundles).
- Bowen Island Recycling Depot: Open 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday through Monday. Upon entry to BIRD, vehicles will be directed to parking area. Two vehicles max. will have access to the building at one time, allowing for physical distancing. Temporary limits and procedures include that: all recyclables must be clean and pre-sorted; one person per vehicle can enter the building. Children and pets remain the vehicle; five-minute sorting time per vehicle; a max. of four containers per vehicle. Accepting refundables and electronics.
- Bowen Fuels: Open Monday to Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Pay debit or credit if possible.
- Bowen Freight: "Bowen Freight is doing everything we can to prevent bringing the Covid-19 virus back to the Island. Our driver dawns a protective P-100 respirator and latex gloves before entering a warehouse, disposes of the gloves before reentering the cab and then sanitizes his hands. On the return ferry he changes into a fresh set of clothing and seals the ‘soiled’ clothing in a garbage bag for washing that evening. At this time we’re accepting requests for vital cargo (food / drugs / pet food, etc..), reasonably vital cargo enabling islanders to continue in maintenance mode (appliances, plumbing, roofing, etc) or assist in becoming more self-sustainable (generators, green houses, etc..) We will not be accepting cargo for renovations / upgrades or furniture and ask that you not order such things at this time. Because of social distancing we will only be offering curb side drops (ie. As close to the destination we can get with the truck). In some cases we may be able to deliver to door if able to be done by our driver (ie. Level ground to door). Canpar / DHL / Loomis / Fedex ground will continue as usual but will be left at the door with no signature required. I consider our driver to be a hero for undertaking this challenge and commend him for bravery on the front line. You might want to express your gratitude through a window with a wave and a smile," says Allan Mills.
- Bowen Island Post Office: reduced hours: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on weekends. One at a time entry.
- Cormorant Marine: "Afternoon commuter trips suspended until further notice. The late night service, which has been provided for 42 years will be suspended starting [March 18] until further notice. We will still provide private charter service. As well, the many trips we do for the Ambulance Service and other essential providers will be unaffected," wrote Brian Biddlecombe on Facebook.
- Bowen Building Centre: Hours: Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Closed Saturdays for now. Social distancing enforced, no browsing, bring a list, two customers in the store at a time. Phone: 604-947-9622
- First Credit Union: Hours: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday to Friday. "We have divided the staff in to two teams that will rotate on a 2 week basis. This leaves us very short staffed on a day to day basis, so: we will no longer be open on Saturdays. Please help us flatten the curve by doing what you can over the phone or online and if you do come in, maintaining social distance."
- First Class Property Services Ltd: "First Class Property Services is committed to providing the following essential services during the COVID-19 pandemic to all of our valued Bowen clients. Urgent calls related to ongoing building damage/leaks or client safety will be prioritized over our other key cleaning services while this crisis lasts. Please note that most regular interior cleaning services are unavailable at this time and we will only enter or pass through a client's home if absolutely necessary while wearing an N-95 mask and gloves following strict social distancing and other key safety procedures. Please call/text us at 778-998-7873 to schedule any of the following services: Priority response related to ongoing damage or leaks involving roofs, gutters, skylights, siding, windows, etc. Safe & effective roof moss removal and maintenance to prevent attic mold/mildew & roof leaks that compromise human health. Roof valley, downspout and eavestrough drainage analysis, clean-out & repairs. Roof vent and exterior chimney stack inspection & cleaning to ensure safe ventilation and proper airflow. Outdoor security camera installation for remote property monitoring. Pressure washing of slippery decks, stairs, driveways, docks, ramps & floats to ensure safe property access. "Virtual curb appeal" real estate pre-sale cleaning packages to help your property look its best for online marketing. Professional cleaning of windows, screens, glass awnings, skylights, are available to those who are self-isolating at home and could use a mental health boost from a brighter outlook. Stay safe and keep connected Bowen! We are all in this together!" says owner Jordan Goodbrand.
- Bowen Veterinary Services: still offering wellness & vaccine appointments but limiting to one in morning and one in afternoon. Spacing out all other appointments to allow for more cleaning and disinfecting. Leave all personal items such as collars, leashes, blankets, toys etc. at home. Will ask three basic health-related questions before allowing entry and if one answers yes or is symptomatic, someone else needs to bring pet to vet. Nail trims, anal gland expressions or non-essential tech appointments postponed until further notice. Will continue to send after-hours emergency and critical care patients to Mountainside Animal Hospital & 24 Hr Services.
- Matthews IT Consulting: By appointment, located in Village Square. Call 604-970-2245 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bowen Island Public Library: closed programs and events. Offering take-out book options. Patrons can access online resources from home, including eBooks and eAudio, online learning, digital magazines and more. Staff are available to answer questions by email to email@example.com. Take-out book options available. Book return now open Wed. and Sat. noon to 3 p.m.
- Caring Circle: "Office is closed till further notice. Our program director can still be reached by phone @ 604-947-0232 or 604-250-1977. Best to call during regular working hours (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.) but if necessary, call anytime," reads a post on their Facebook page.
- Bowen Island Museum and Archives: "The archives will remain open for research requests by email but the building is closed," says archivist Catherine Bayly.
- Bowen Land and Sea Taxi is closed.
- Bowen Island Express Bus and afternoon water taxi commuter service cancelled.
- On-island transit operating as usual
- Bowen Island Community Recreation: programs reopening, check website.
- Bowen Youth Centre: online programming, check Facebook.
Retail and art:
- Knick Knack Nook: reopening July 3 with new procedures in place.
- The Watering Can Supply: Shop online at thewateringcansupply.com. Reopening May 30; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Bowen Island Flower Shop: " Our indoor shop is still not open for you to visit, you’ll find flower, indoor plants and gifts on our website for order, but our courtyard garden centre will continue to operate on an “honour system” with social distancing required. (any plant advice needed we are happy to give you via email or phone).Daily between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. (Please read the info on the door for payment options. A simple photograph and or list to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll send you an invoice back as we need to add tax.) Remember, only visit if you feel well, are not living with someone quarantined, and respect social distancing if someone else is there." The shop said on Facebook. See selection and more information on its website.
- Bowen Pet Supply: Open 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Saturday and 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. One person allowed in at a time. Free delivery to Bowen Island and West Vancouver. Call 778-873-3125.
- Bowen Island Soap Co: offering free delivery. Five for $45 on big Artisan soaps and Skin SOS mini moisturisers for $5. Sustainable bamboo soap dishes, large & small artisan soaps, bar shampoo, natural hair conditioner, lip balms, moisturizer and more also available. Order here.
- Conscious Cosmetics: see here.
- Phoenix: Free Delivery and 10% off all books in May. Hours 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday to Saturday.
- 604-947-2793 Or email us at Phoenixcompanybc@gmail.com.
- Fabulous Finds: Max. 3 at a time. Disposable gloves provided upon entry. Wear your face mask (if available). All surfaces and fitting rooms sanitized. Items tried on but not purchased are isolated for two days.
- Out of the Blue: Reopened with health protocols in place
- Vikki Fuller: "Follow my castaway adventures on Instagram @email@example.com or email me firstname.lastname@example.org. Accepting commissions for my return Aug. 1."
- Miki Tanaka: "Gift certificate; Online Store; Custom pieces (Wedding/Anniversary); Gift wrap/Local free delivery; email: email@example.com. Solid silver, gold, bronze jewelry made by hand. Established 2001 in NYC. Studio/Store on Bowen Island Artisan Square since 2018. Store is closed for now, but I’m at the bench. Please contact if you are looking for a special gift for someone or yourself! www.mikitanaka.com @mikitanakajewelry."
- Catching Stars Gallery: Open Thursday to Monday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Info@catchingstarsgallery.com Max. 3 patrons at a time and practice social distancing.
- Maison Sanskar at Artisan Square: Reopening May 19. Delivery offered for isolated Bowen Islanders. Online eco fashion showroom lookbook, virtual custom sizing and gift certificates. Call Gail at 604-833-6893.
- Real Rapunzel: Reopening June 5 for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Hours: 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. "Additional opening hours might be added in July and August," says owner Ines Ortner. "Please check in on social media for additional times, for great new little thank you gifts, special re-opening offers and our stay-healthy visitor guidelines. facebook: The Real Rapunzel or Instagram: therealrapunzelonbowen."
- Squirrel: Hours: Thurs to Sun, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Connie Wright Originals: Hours: Thursday through Sunday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call Connie at 604-290-5313
- Arts Pacific Gallery: Open Saturdays and Sundays 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Gallery@Cove Commons: reopening mid-June
- Movement Global: call Amrita at 778-863-7770 to shop virtually or in person. To shop online visit movementglobal.com. Curb-side pick-up and gift certificates available.
- Cloudflower Clayworks: reopening June 20. Hours: Wednesdays through Sundays noon to 4 p.m.
Health & wellness:
- Bowen Island Integrated Health: Reopened. See their reopening plan here.
- Positively Fit: Offering virtual strength and core classes Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m. over Zoom.
- The Well: Yoga in the Park (behind baseball field) Wednesdays 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. with Chantal Russell. Yoga on the pier Saturdays 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. with Sarah Kraatz. Yin in the Park Sundays 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. with Sarah Kraatz. Bring your own mat and preregister online (no cash) at thewellonbowen.com
- Kelly Konno Dance Studio reopening with a redesigned schedule –– combo of Zoom, outdoor and in-person reduced-size classes.
- The Gym: Reopened with strict protocols and distancing. Restrooms closed. Text Brad to book a time or book at square.site/book/F4F7G8Z9ZQ7Z2/the-gym-on-bowen-bowen-island-bc.
- Birch Wellness: Reopened.
- Cedar Wellness: closed until further notice.
- Bowen Island Chiropractic: open Tuesdays and Fridays with new COVID protocols; bring own mask, don't come in if symptomatic (no cancellation fees for illness), wait in car until appointment time, e-transfer preferred method of payment.
- Bowen Island Massage Therapy and Bowen Island Wellness Centre: call 604-947-9755 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 947 Swim: Registration open
- Jazzercise: restarting June 7, 9 a.m. at the BICS field. Register at Bowen Island Community Recreation website.
- Nectar Yoga: waving regular fees from June 15 to July 15. "Nectar Yoga is offering their immersive experience, which includes yoga, meditation, nourishing food and accommodations in nature, to support those affected by COVID-19. British Columbians are invited to book retreats this summer, with regular rates waived for an entire month."
- Bowen Island Tattoo Shop: Stay tuned for reopening news in Instagram @bowenislandtattooshop
- Bowen Barber: open
- Moss Hair Studio: open
- Salon Calypso: call 604-947-2872
- USSC Marina: reopened. See the website here for upates.
- Bowen Island Golf Course: Open Wednesday to Sunday with strict rules (see more info here).
- Bowen Island Sea Kayaking: Open for Bowen Islanders only after May 30. Hours: Thurs to Sun noon to 8 p.m.
- Bowen Island Dog Ranch: “We’re open for board and train this summer on a case-by-case basis," said owner Karen Munro. " If you’ve got a new puppy that needs some training, or your dog needs some training to improve their life (and yours!), we’d be happy to help. Please email Carey Bolduc our Head Trainer to find out more, and discuss both yours and your dog’s training needs: email@example.com. We are not yet taking reservations for boarding and likely won’t open for boarding until the fall due to ongoing uncertainties, but we will keep you posted. Our day care is permanently closed and we’re working on hiring a new groomer.”
- Bowen Island Accommodations closed until at least the end of May.
- Learn to Sail: early bird registration ends May 31.
Here's what's cancelled/rescheduled due to COVID-19:
- IPS Masterworks: Livestream June 8-11. "An annual do-not-miss pinacle event for IPS Grade 9 students. A public presentation similar to a TED talk."
- Strawberry Tea, Bowen Island United Church fundraiser - drive-through style at the Bowen Island Legion (1265 Scarborough Rd.) June 13
- Bowen Island Classic Motor Show cancelled
- Run for Rwanda: virtual run from July 22 to July 29.
- Bowen Island Community Choir rehearsals postponed.
- Seniors Keeping Young cancelled until further notice.
- The Legion’s Friday evening dinners
- Community Lunches at the Legion are postponed.
- Bowen Island Football Club season suspended
- Logger Sports Show
- Dock Dance Cancelled
- SloPitch season cancelled
- Trust Me Series Pierre Schryer and Adam Dobres concert on March 27 is postponed until Nov. 27. "Tickets can be held for that date, refunded or cost donated to the artists. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for any of those options."
Get the latest news about COVID here.