Recently I celebrated my birthday at a fancy restaurant in West Vancouver. As it was late afternoon there were only two other customers besides myself and my daughter. One of these customers started to choke on her food. She turned to me to help her - I performed the Heimlich Maneuver several times and was able to dislodge the food she was choking on.
I share this story with you, fellow Bowen-ers, to encourage you to keep your first aid skills up to date. Thankfully I was able to remember how to perform this maneuver instinctively in the moment, in light of the adrenalin that precluded me from thinking more rationally.