Bowen Gymnastics is beyond excited to join forces with Whistler / Pemberton Gymnastics to represent Canada in Amsterdam for the 2023 World Gymnaestrada Event for a “Sea to Sky Performance Team”. Bowen Island Gymnastics will be sending 10 gymnasts, coaches, and parent team supporters.
This will mark the fourth time Bowen Island Gymnastics has been invited and attended a World Gymnaestrada, previously going in 2011, 2015, 2019, and now 2023.
It is truly a privilege for our team to get the opportunity to attend World Gymnaestrada this year as the selection for Team Canada is limited to eight Gymnastics Clubs in British Columbia and one of 15 Canadian performance spots.
What is World Gymnaestrada?
- Worldwide, non-competitive Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique (FIG) Gymnastics for All event
- Held every four years (the last WG was in Dornbirn 2019)
- Attracts the largest number of active participants of any FIG event. (avg. 20,000 participants from 50 nations)
- Participation is for everyone, regardless of gender, age, race, religion, culture, ability or social standing
17th FIG World Gymnaestrada
- Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Event Dates: July 30 – August 5, 2023
- Canadian Delegation Arrival (Amsterdam): July 28, 2023 (to be confirmed)
- Canadian Delegation Departure (Amsterdam): August 6, 2023
World Gymnaestrada is Coming Home
The very first edition was – unsurprisingly – held in the Netherlands (Rotterdam) in 1953, under the motto ‘Joy of Life in Gymnastics’.
The Netherlands (Amsterdam) again hosted the World Gymnaestrada in 1991. Compared to 1953, the number of participating countries had doubled to 28 and the number of participants almost quadrupled to 19,500.
In 2023, exactly 70 years after the first edition of the World Gymnaestrada, Amsterdam again hopes to welcome you to this event. Faithful to the founding principles, but with a fresh and innovative interpretation for a new generation.
Please support the team when you go to vote this Saturday, Oct. 15 at Bowen Island Community School, as we’ll be holding our Bake Sale fundraiser there.